Sunday, March 19, 2006

V for Vendetta

This is probably the most powerful movie I have ever seen and definitely one of the best movies I have seen in the past year (this is counting 2005). From the previews I thought it would be awesome and being a comic book geek I've been eagerly awaiting it for almost a year. Now normally when something gets hyped up like that there is no way it can live up to your expectations, but this simply went above and beyond them.

The movie's theme is not original, in fact it's basically the sequel of 1984 (both movies cast John Hurt as well, though in completely different roles), but that's not important. I love movies that are all about governments going too far and the people finally standing up to them. It inspires me to believe that we can really make a difference in our world, but I've never seen a movie with this theme that has moved me so much. Yes, it's moved me so much that I have begun to use cliches in order to explain my feelings towards it.

"I laughed, I cried, it moved me Bob."

There were a few things that rubbed me the wrong way, like Natalie Portman's accent. Now, I have nothing against Natalie Portman, I love her in fact. I think she is a great actor and I think she did an incredible job in this movie, but her accent just sounded really fake. I suppose we can't win 'em all... I also wasn't entirely sure if I liked some of the director's (James McTeigue) choices in the fight scenes. In the last action scene with V vs. Creedy and his goons they made it look like a comic book which in turn made it look a little too Matrixy for my taste, but I still think it was a cool scene.

I recommend that you go and watch this movie in the theatres, because it is most certainly worth the money and if you are reading this too late to do that, go and buy the DVD. You will not regret it.
-LS

No comments: